Six Linkin Park albums hit platinum or multi-platinum sales milestones
Photo by Isaac Brekken | Getty Images
Linkin Park has received more platinum and multi-platinum sales certifications from the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) in the wake of singer Chester Bennington‘s suicide last month. But while 11 of the group’s singles all went multi-platinum a couple of weeks ago, this time six of the band’s albums have all reached various sales plateaus.
Co-frontman Mike Shinoda had explained in a 2012 interview why he thought the band has so much staying power while many of their contemporaries faded: “When we look back at it, we’ve really gotten to a point where we can say, you know, that’s fine that things were influential. We were inspired by somebody else, somebody else was inspired by us. But we owned our thing. And to be able to look at that and say, whatever else happened, that’s fine, but when we comes to our sound, we made our sound, we own our sound and we’re gonna be comfortable with that — who we are.”
- In the latest round of certifications, the band’s 2000 debut, Hybrid Theory, officially went 11 times platinum. It hit the Diamond level for sales of 10 million copies in 2005.
- Sophomore effort Meteora jumped to seven times platinum, after being last certified quadruple platinum in 2004.
- Minutes To Midnight from 2007 passed the four million mark in sales, while fourth album A Thousand Suns hit the platinum mark for shifting more than one million copies since 2010.
- Fifth album Living Things also reached platinum, while the band’s Collision Course LP with Jay-Z doubled that.
- All of the above certifications were awarded on Tuesday (August 15th).
- Bennington was found dead in his Los Angeles-area home on July 20th. The singer committed suicide by hanging himself.
- The singer was buried on July 29th in a private ceremony in Southern California. Linkin Park canceled all plans for the immediate future, including a North American tour.
SIDE NOTES: A platinum album award in the U.S. represents sales of 1,000,000 units, while gold signifies 500,000 units. The sales certifications factor digital streams into their awards with 10 permanent track downloads counting as one unit and 1,500 on-demand audio/video streams from the album also counting as as a unit.
DID YOU KNOW?
- Earlier this month, Linkin Park broke a chart record set by David Bowie by having an astounding 23 songs on Billboard‘s Hot Rock Songs chart. Bowie landed 21 songs on the chart in January 2016, following his death that same month.
- The group also dominated the Top Rock Albums and Hard Rock Albums charts, and became the first band to secure all three spots on the Top Rock Albums chart in a single week.