Metallica, Imagine Dragons dominate ‘Billboard’ year-end rock charts
Photo by Tim Mosenfelder | Getty Images
Metallica‘s 10th studio album, Hardwired…To Self-Destruct, has topped Billboard magazine’s year-end Top Rock Albums and Hard Rock Albums charts. The disc, which came out in November 2016, sold 1.1 million copies in the 2017 chart year, the only rock album to top 800,000 units. Metallica also ranked second on the Mainstream Rock Artists survey for 2017. Five songs from the LP made the list in the chart year, with “Atlas, Rise!” topping it for two weeks in February.
Frontman James Hetfield had said a while back that the band wanted to record an album that had something for all Metallica fans on it: “Making any record, you’re trying to get a broad paintstroke of everything that the band is capable of and loves to do. So between the ballady stuff, the extremely fast and extreme stuff, and super-heavy…there’s a bit of everything on this record.”
The Top Rock Artist of 2017 was Imagine Dragons, with the band earning the title for the second time since 2013. The Las Vegas act was also Number One on the Hot Rock Songs Artists, Rock Streaming Songs Artists, Rock Airplay Artists, Rock Digital Song Sales Artists, Alternative Albums Artists and Alternative Songs Artists rankings.
- Its third album, Evolve, topped the Alternative Albums chart and placed at Number Two on Top Rock Albums, while lead single “Believer” lorded over Hot Rock Songs, Rock Streaming Songs, Rock Airplay, Rock Digital Song Sales, Alternative Songs and Alternative Digital Song Sales.
- Portugal. The Man also saw significant chart action thanks to the 15-year-old band’s breakthrough single, “Feel It Still.” The track was Number One on the Adult Alternative Songs chart, Number Two for the year on Rock Airplay and Number Three on the year-end Hot Rock Songs and Alternative Songs surveys.
- Also making notable appearances on Billboard‘s year-end tallies were The Revivalists, who were named Top New Rock Artist of 2017, and Linkin Park, who were Number Three on the Top Rock Artist chart and Number Seven on the Top Rock Albums list with One More Light.
- Linkin Park also surged on the Hot Rock Songs chart thanks to a sharp uptick in the sales, streaming and airplay for nearly two dozen of their songs following the July suicide of singer Chester Bennington.
- Billboard‘s year-end music recaps are based on chart performance between the December 3rd, 2016 and November 25th, 2017-dated charts.
Top Hard Rock Albums Artists Of 2017:
2. Linkin Park
3. Foo Fighters
5. Guns N’ Roses
8. Five Finger Death Punch
9. Led Zeppelin
Top Rock Albums Of 2017:
1. Metallica – Hardwired…To Self-Destruct
2. Imagine Dragons – Evolve
3. Twenty One Pilots – Blurryface
4. Soundtrack – Guardians Of The Galaxy, Vol. 2: Awesome Mix Vol. 2
5. Soundtrack – Suicide Squad: The Album
6. Panic! At The Disco – Death Of A Bachelor
7. Linkin Park – One More Light
8. The Lumineers – Cleopatra
9. The Rolling Stones – Blue & Lonesome
10. Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers – Greatest Hits