William Patrick Corgan to release second solo album
Photo by Santiago Felipe | Getty Images
William Patrick Corgan, also known as Smashing Pumpkins frontman Billy Corgan, will release his second solo album, titled Ogilala, on October 13th. The disc was produced by Rick Rubin and recorded in Malibu, California, with Corgan mainly playing acoustic guitar and piano on most of the songs.
Corgan said about the project, "For as long as I can remember the delineation point between songs I wrote for myself and songs I'd pen for whatever band was something I couldn't explain. And it remains so, for they all feel quite personal to me, no matter their time or era. The lone difference on songs for Ogilala is that they seemed to want little in the way of adornment. Having written the songs for voice and guitar, I put myself in Rick's hands to take the music wherever he'd like."
- Corgan, who is now officially going by his full name, also released the album's first track, "Aeronaut."
- The full album will be available digitally, on CD and on 180-gram gatefold vinyl. A limited edition blue vinyl LP will be available directly from Corgan's webstore and a limited edition pink vinyl will be available at select indie retailers.
- Corgan will also embark on a solo acoustic North American tour that kicks off on October 14th in Brooklyn, New York and wraps up on November 11th in Los Angeles. Each night's show will consist of two sets, with Corgan playing songs from Ogilala in the first and material from across his entire career in the second.
- Confirmed William Patrick Corgan North American tour dates (subject to change):
October 14 - Brooklyn, NY - Murmrr Theatre
October 15 - Brooklyn, NY - Murmrr Theatre
October 18 - Wilmington, DE - Grand Opera House
October 20 - Toronto, ON - Queen Elizabeth Theatre
October 24 - Chicago, IL - Athenaeum Theatre
October 25 - Chicago, IL - Athenaeum Theatre
October 27 - Nashville, TN - CMA Theater
October 29 - Boulder, CO - Boulder Theater
November 1 - San Francisco, CA - Herbst Theatre
November 2 - San Francisco, CA - Herbst Theatre
November 9 - Los Angeles, CA - Hollywood Forever Cemetery
November 10 - Los Angeles, CA - Hollywood Forever Cemetery
November 11 - Los Angeles, CA - Hollywood Forever Cemetery
- Corgan has been touring under the Smashing Pumpkins name for several years with a newer lineup of musicians, although original drummer Jimmy Chamberlin rejoined the band last year.
- Corgan also confirmed last year that he had repaired his friendship with original bassist D'arcy Wretzky, after not speaking for nearly two decades. Corgan and guitarist James Iha also mended their fences, with Iha joining the Pumpkins onstage at two gigs in the spring of 2016.
- It was rumored earlier this year that Corgan had begun shopping an reunion of the original quartet for headlining shows and festival slots, but there has been no official confirmation of those reports.