System of a Down vocalist releases two new film scores
Photo by Francesco Castaldo/Archivio Francesco Castaldo/Mondadori Portfolio | Getty Images
System Of A Down vocalist Serj Tankian has two new film scores under his belt. The first, for a film called Intent To Destroy, was released digitally via iTunes and Apple on November 17th, while the second, for a movie titled Furious: The Legend Of Kolovrat, will arrive digitally on December 8th.
Intent To Destroy, from Oscar-nominated director Joe Berlinger, is a documentary that examines genocide denialism. The film outlines the century-old denial campaign of the Armenian Genocide by the Turkish government and brings it into the current age of disinformation and scare tactics. The film was released in theatres on November 10th.
- Tankian called Intent To Destroy "one of the most powerful films I've ever seen let alone been a part of."
- Meanwhile, Furious: The Legend Of Kolovrat is a Russian historical fantasy film about a 13th century knight named Evpaty Kolovrat, who led a 17-man squad against thousands of Mongol warrior hordes.
- Tankian said about this project, "I'm a huge fan of historical action films, so I welcomed the opportunity to create my first epic score for Furious.'"
- Tankian's other film work includes scores or musical pieces for 1915, The Inhabitant, The Promise and others. He also has composed for TV and video games.
- Tankian said a while back that some fans might not enjoy his other kinds of music: "You know, it's all about opinions. It's music, it's based on taste and, you know, everyone likes a certain thing and there are certain people that will gravitate toward a certain type of music and others that will gravitate to another. And there's no telling what people may or may not like, to be honest. You make the record that you believe in, the expression that you want to say, and whoever feels that way will gravitate toward it. It's really that simple."
- His other solo work includes three rock albums, a live set, a classical symphony and a jazz recording. Tankian has toured with System Of A Down over the past few years but the band has not released new music since 2006.
SIDE NOTES: A video for the track "A Fine Moment To Die" from Furious, featuring vocal performances by Tankian and female singer Katya Ivanchikova has already become a viral hit with more than 500,000 views.