Hoobastank inks new record deal, LP due in early 2018
Photo by C Brandon/Redferns | Getty Images
California rock act Hoobastank has inked a new record deal with the Austrian independent label Napalm Records. The band's sixth studio album and first in five years is scheduled for release in the first half of 2018. The band said in a statement, "We're extremely thrilled about signing with Napalm Records and honored to be joining their roster of talented artists."
The band added that it worked with Maroon 5 producer Matt Wallace on the new LP, saying, "The writing and recording process was everything we could have hoped for. Matt challenged us and brought out different aspects of what we love about making music."
- Hoobastank was formed in 1994 and signed with Island Records in 2001. That year's self-titled debut disc featured the Top 10 Modern Rock singles "Crawling In The Dark" and "Running Away."
- The title track from the band's 2003 sophomore effort, The Reason, became a massive crossover hit, reaching Number One on the Modern Rock and Number Two on the Billboard Hot 100 charts, while also spending 21 weeks at the top of the Canadian chart and charting around the world. The album has sold more than two million copies in the U.S. alone.
- Frontman Doug Robb remembered the circumstances in which he wrote "The Reason": "It was really fast. I remember sitting on my couch, exactly where I was in my apartment, I remember what time of day it was. I remember how fast it came, I remember I stopped in the middle of it to take a poo break. (laughs) So that's real romantic, you know?"
- Later records did not quite achieve the same sales or chart success, although the band has continued to tour and record. Its last full-length LP, Fight Or Flight, arrived in September 2012.
- Hoobastank's five albums to date have sold more than 10 million copies worldwide.
- The band still has over 500,000 subscribers to its YouTube channel, almost two million followers on Facebook and 50,000 followers on Twitter.
- Original members Doug Robb on vocals, Dan Estrin on guitar and Chris Hesse on drums are all still in the lineup, with bassist Jesse Charland joining in 2009.