Dave Grohl and Josh Homme sit for interview together
Photo by Jason Kempin/WireImage | Getty Images
Foo Fighters frontman Dave Grohl and Queens Of The Stone Age singer/guitarist Josh Homme gave a rare joint interview to the Los Angeles Times in which they discussed making their new albums almost next door to each other. Grohl said, "I was excited to go down to the studio every day to make my record, but I was also excited to go down and steal Josh’s doughnuts and hang for the first three hours of every day. It was like Hill Street Blues."
Grohl added, "Rock bands making vital records, trying to push boundaries -- these days it’s few and far between. Having Josh so close made me feel like we weren’t alone.”
- Grohl played drums on the Queens' 2002 album Songs For The Deaf and was part of the touring band for a while, while the two men also later teamed with Led Zeppelin bassist John Paul Jones in Them Crooked Vultures, which made one LP.
- Homme had said at the time that the musical chemistry in Them Crooked Vultures was apparent from the start: "You know, (in) Queens we have a great communication, and this is a communication unlike anything I've ever had, because there's less people and a really tight communication that existed right away. Trying to explain what you wanna do is missing from the equation. You're just doing it, and I love that musical shorthand, you know, like that. It's really good."
- Grohl hinted that he would always be open to playing with Homme again, saying, "Honestly, as a drummer, he’s the only person I want to play with. I go and I play with other people. But Josh makes me feel like I can be the drummer I want to be.”
- During their recent separate recording sessions, Grohl and Homme would sometimes meet for lunch and afterwards sit in one of their cars and play each other new music they were working on.
- Both the new Foo Fighters album, Concrete And Gold, and the latest Queens effort, Villains, came out within the last month. The two bands will perform on the same bill at Cal Jam, a one-day music festival scheduled for this Saturday (October 7th) in San Bernardino, California. Also on the bill are Cage The Elephant, Liam Gallagher, the Kills, Babes In Toyland and more.